BusyBox ash as subshell for mc (midnight commander)?

Alexander Kriegisch kriegaex at freetz.org
Thu Mar 1 16:24:18 UTC 2012

[re-send to list because reply-to header was wrong as usual]

ralda at gmx.de, 01.03.2012 09:57:
>> i other words the problem is that mc searches for a given name ?
>
> 1) Correct!

This does not seem to be the full story, unfortunately.

> On systems without bash and without mc binary changes I used a simple C
> wrapper for /bin/bash (just set arg[0] to "ash" then
> exec /bin/busybox with argv)

I did not try this, but that:

> In addition this shell script for /bin/bash worked successfully (but
> performance lose on each invocation):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /bin/busybox ash "$@"

No matter if I use this script or CONFIG_FEATURE_BASH_IS_ASH, mc does
not like the pseudo-bash. It starts up, but as soon as I execute the
first command, mc exits. The command - e.g. "ls -l /" or whatever - gets
executed, but afterwards mc shuts down with "exit 0". If you like to see
an strace, I can send one if it is not too off-topic.

I tried the same thing with a real bash binary replacing the symlink to
busybox, and mc subshell support immediately works as expected - same
busybox and mc binaries.

Any ideas?
--
Alexander Kriegisch (kriegaex)