installation paths bit-rot

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 20 18:39:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
<rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 June 2012 00:12, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday 18 June 2012 19:00, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have accumulated quite some differences in installation paths of applets.
>>>
>>> It would be nice if we could fix those to match the normal debian
>>> paths (to avoid grief with update-alternatives and scripts).
>>
>> Sure...
>
>> If I understand this correctly, it shows where we currently
>> install applet links, but does not show the "correct" location?
>>
>> Can you give me the list of correct locations?
>
> Attached. The entries that are still empty are for applets that are
> either made up by us or that are pretty old stuff (the key-map
> helpers, for example).

commit dac8e79a190fcfedb9c9054034a521e84c7bec72
Author: Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
Date:   Wed Jun 20 20:24:57 2012 +0200

    Move several applets to different install dir:

    Moved to [/usr]/sbin:
    addgroup, adduser, delgroup, deluser,
    arping, chat, ether-wake, fdformat, ifplugd,
    ip, ipaddr, iplink, iproute, iprule, iptunnel,
    killall5, readahead, rtcwake, tftpd, add-shell, remove-shell, powertop.

    Moved to /bin for /usr/bin: kbd_mode.

Basically this moves a bunch of things from bin to sbin.

I did not add/remove /usr - it appears Fedora and your list disagrees
a lot about it. Except for kbd_mode, where there is a definite agreement;
and adduser-type ops, which are all in /usr now. (Makes sense - early
boot does not need them).

Let me know if I miss some inconsistency.

--
vda