Auto(un)mount under mdev

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Sun Jul 15 23:09:49 UTC 2012

  First, a big "Thank you" for all the answers to my questions a few
months ago related to auto(un)mounting under mdev.

  There are lots of pointers for automounting USB devices on embedded
systems, with root as the only user.  Doing it on a desktop PC, with
regular users, without compromising security, is a bit more difficult.

  I now have auto(un)mount working on my machines as per
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB and
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount  This has been
working OK for me for a few weeks, and I've asked others to test on
their machines.  I'll still consider it beta (Work In Progress) until
other people confirm it works for them.  Once that's done, my next
project might be "custom mdev rules", similar to "custom udev rules"

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>