fixing busybox mount/umount to work with udisks

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Tue Jan 31 13:57:35 UTC 2012

> sigh... The world is really black and white, isn't it?

 It is, until you show people like me that you actually devised a shade
of grey that works. Congratulations on your Alpine Linux desktop-lite,
it is quite an impressive feat to pull that up nowadays. :)

> udisks is needed for usb disks to show up in thunar.

 What functionality does thunar need that udisks provides ? Maybe we can
figure out a way to do it with some clever right management and remove
your dependency to udisks.

> All I ask for is ideas how to work those out. And believe me: I do
> *not* want bloat busybox.

 Mounting devices as a non-root user feels very hackish and
counter-intuitive to me. On embedded boxes, the mount/umounts are
always performed as root, and it makes sense.

 If there's no other solution, I guess patching busybox's mount/umount
to add uhelper support could be an option (as long as it's protected by
a compile-time flag), if Denys agrees; but I'd rather find a way to
avoid acknowledging that non-root mounting exists, if possible.

--
 Laurent