how to test if a pipe contains data

Christof Warlich christof at warlich.name
Sun Jan 22 19:42:13 UTC 2012

Am 22.01.2012 17:14, schrieb Harald Becker:
> ... another one doing busy waiting in Unix shell scripts.

Why do you conclude that I'm busy-waiting? I'm well aware and use Unix
concepts like select() and threads wherever appropriate, but sometimes,
even the most brilliant concept does not fit anyones needs.

Anyhow, if it helps, or even if someone is interested, I'm happy to
explain in detail why I need to peek for data on a filedescriptor.
Otherwise, I'm hoping for help w.r.t. my question, being even fine with
a statement from an experienced BusyBox expert that BusyBox cannot do
what I'd like to do, as I could easily write an appropriate helper in C
that does what I need. I just thought I might ask here first in case
that I've overlooked something.

Again, thanks a lot to anyone willing to help,

Chris