Amusing article about busybox

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 13:38:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Rogelio Serrano
<rogelio.serrano at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn at ebb.org> wrote:
>> Laurent Bercot wrote at 06:46 (EST):
>>> I am afraid that the uncompromising, unforgiving nature of the GPL
>>> will turn against it in the future, and harm more than promote
>>> widespread distribution of GPL'ed software - something that GPL
>>> zealots generally refuse to see.
>>
>> It's entirely possible this could be the case.  I don't really believe
>> it is, but all we have is some second-hand, anecdotal evidence on either
>> side of the debate, so it's tough to know for sure.
>>
>> But that's not a new debate: it's the fundamental debate
>> that goes back 20 years between those that prefer permissive licenses
>> and those that prefer copyleft.  There are reasonable arguments on both
>> sides, of course.
>>

> i dont agree. its just business economics at work. is it going to be
> cheaper in the long run to contribute or not? when its more economical
> to contribute then its better to gpl.

In order to see that you need vision, and you need some basic
understanding of how open source works. Sadly, a lot of people don't
have those, and instead believe in FUD, and make decisions based on
that.

> when you have intellectual property issues you will hate gpl. i have
> worked with companies with no IP issues whatsoever and the gpl is
> perfect.

Agreed. Unfortunately most, if not all, big companies have IP. Sony for example.

--
Felipe Contreras