Amusing article about busybox

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Wed Feb 1 11:46:48 UTC 2012

> Some of the arguments from the "other side" found in that
> thread make sense. We are possibly a bit too aggressive
> when we try to force people to comply with GPL
> on other projects too, not only on bbox.

 Good quality alternatives are a good thing. If Rob starts his
Toybox project again, more power to him. If users - whether they
are individuals or companies - can choose between two similar
implementations of the same stuff, everyone benefits.

 The unfortunate reality is that most companies *really don't want*
to release their source code. They will either refuse to have
anything to do with copylefted software, or infringe the copyleft
more or less blatantly. The "return something to the community"
idea just does not work with them.

 So, GPL inforcement is a good thing, but as time goes by, companies
will turn away more and more from copylefted software, and use more
and more open source, non copylefted software. I am afraid that the
uncompromising, unforgiving nature of the GPL will turn against it
in the future, and harm more than promote widespread distribution of
GPL'ed software - something that GPL zealots generally refuse to see.

--
 Laurent