Bug in mountpoint applet?

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Wed Aug 15 01:58:00 UTC 2012

Hi Laurent !

> $ touch "Please shoot the people who design unreliable kernel
>interfaces instead."

Ok, I did not want to create a war about ugly / unreliable things. I'm
not concerned with those kernel interfaces and there design. You, and
others, are absolutely right that such interfaces should be created in
a stable and reliable way. May be with fields separated by a NUL
character, allowing all kind of ugly stuff except NUL chars within
names. I like such kind of definitions. So, why don't you ask the
kernel guys to create the interfaces this way?

Can we agree, that Busybox mountpoint misses bind mounts and that it
is a good idea to let mountpoint detect and report such entries, and
that the util-linux mountpoint does right this? Is it wrong to
request Busybox mountpoint in it's operation being compatible with
this util-linux version?

The util linux version has the device node compare as a fallback
method. So why not have a global config option to enable the usage
of /mnt/self/mountinfo ... for those who neglect to use such kind of
interfaces.

Do we really need to have lengthy discussions about ugly things and
unreliable interfaces when the question is something completely
different? IMO no, so please let us concentrate about the main questions
(report bind mount points and being compatible to util-linux). Thx.

--
Harald