sh: can't open '/dev/console' msg when exiting from a program with exit(1)

Eial Czerwacki eial at scalemp.com
Wed Apr 25 09:02:31 UTC 2012

Hi Harald,

> I did not really catch what your trouble is, you didn't give enough
> information for me to see what exactly you are doing and when exactly
> your problem arise. Please be more specific what you are trying, and
> add strace output of your problem (if possible).
>
> More in detail: If your program exits and shell continues there usually
> is no need to reopen /dev/console before displaying the prompt, so I
> ought you left something of. Are you running a script? Are you in a
> special (incomplete) execution environment (e.g. chroot)? How is your
> application called?

I cannot tell much about my issue, but in a nutshell, my program boots a
script then run a s bin.
when interrupting the bin using ctrl+c, I get the msg mentioned above as
I use respawn -/bin/sh feature.
if I move /dev/console to 5,2 from 5,1 the msg is gone, but as I do have
keyboard with both features, later on, I loose the keyboard in both
situations.

Eial.