Automatic deletion of loopback device upon umount?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Apr 16 19:30:13 UTC 2012

On 04/16/2012 10:11 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

>>> I want to avoid people writing scripts which work with busybox
>>> applets but "mysteriously break" on big distros.
>>
>> Works with big distros, breaks with busybox: busybox has a problem.
>> Works with busybox, breaks with big distros: distros have a problem.
>
> I don't think it works that way. Usually, whoever has the largest
> user base is considered a standard (or "de-facto standard").

That would be Windows.

> For umount, at the moment that is util-linux...
>
>> Way back when, I was rooting for busybox to _replace_ all those other
>> packages in general use.
>
> If bbox will become much more popular, then yes, we can
> just introduce changes and others will need to follow us.
> So far it's the other way around...

Multiple choice answer:

A) I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

B) s/need/want/

C) Becoming synonymous with "lawsuit" didn't help the project's popularity.

D) I think this is the first time I've seen a software project stuck in
"the friend zone".

E) It's hard to change the world by being "another one" of anything.

But it's not my call anymore. This has devolved into a difference of
opinion, so I'll bow out now.

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.