Automatic deletion of loopback device upon umount?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:11:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On 04/16/2012 06:31 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>>> I really don't understand this deference to the limitations of
>>> util-linux.
>>
>> I want to avoid people writing scripts which work with busybox
>> applets but "mysteriously break" on big distros.
>
> Works with big distros, breaks with busybox: busybox has a problem.
> Works with busybox, breaks with big distros: distros have a problem.

I don't think it works that way. Usually, whoever has the largest
user base is considered a standard (or "de-facto standard").
For umount, at the moment that is util-linux...

> Way back when, I was rooting for busybox to _replace_ all those other
> packages in general use.

If bbox will become much more popular, then yes, we can
just introduce changes and others will need to follow us.
So far it's the other way around...

--
vda