Help wanted, setconsole problem

ralda at gmx.de ralda at gmx.de
Wed Apr 4 19:53:02 UTC 2012

Hi Laurent !

>  - Contrary to what I've believed for ages, there's apparently no such
> thing as a "make" applet in Busybox. (Good thing it's not needed,
> then.) Which explains very well why you were confused, Harald: I was
> even more confused than you were. XD

So looks we agree on the major topic to use a full fledged development
make (whichever works correct) for building Busybox. Wasn't sure if
I translated your message correct. My English isn't very well. I think
it was not so good to just call it Busybox make. This is indeed
confusing. Would have been better to call it "Busybox make procedure"
or "build procedure". Which wouldn't had confused you, I ought. So I
beg your pardon.

Finally I tracked the problem down to it's roots ... which was an
unintentionally called bash/GNU sed with a script/rule designed for
Busybox ash/sed applet. I created this script to automatically cleanup
and synchronize some changes on different machines/chroots after
installation of new Gentoo packages. The script works correct if
invoked by Busybox sh ... but a newer Portage script called it in a
slightly different environment and used /bin/sh -> bash to run the
script. That wouldn't have been wrong, if bash didn't pick up GNU sed
instead of the Busybox sed. And there we had the trouble. An sed rule
failed and some quotes got not converted correct ... leaving a wrong
paired set of quotes in .bashrc ... leading to appending an apostrophe
to the PATH, but triggered only when bash is explicitly called with
"-rcfile .bashrc" ... which was the case when invoked by Midnight
commander ... all that resulting in the Busybox build procedure not
being able to search the cross compiler directory (as it was the last
component in the search path) ... the tail in the chain of trouble ...

--
Harald