[ralda at gmx.de: computer phenomena: output of tty applet]

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 2 13:52:46 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 11:58:00AM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> symlink at /proc/self/fd/2. So the reason why Busybox neglected to
> respond with the pty name was, I dropped the read permission of
> the /dev/pts and gave only execute permission to that directory.

Please note that this does not provide *ANY* privacy/security
advantage. If you want a list of open ptys and owners, you can just
try stat() on /dev/pts/%d for each integer and get the same
information you would have gotten from reading the directory. To make
this secure, the kernel would need to be changed to generate random
tokens of at least 64bit for each pty...

Rich