s6-devd (was: Can mdev replace udev in an ordinary linux distro?)

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Thu Sep 29 17:31:53 UTC 2011

>> The netlink based solution looks more robust and more elegant to me.
> Netlink based solution requires a daemon.

 And here it is, as promised:

 http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6-linux-utils/s6-devd.html

 Statically linked against uClibc-0.9.31 with an Aboriginal Linux
toolchain, the i686 binary running on my PC makes 22048 bytes.
The program uses two pages in the stack and does not allocate heap
memory.

 It's usable with mdev or anything else. Instead of declaring
 "echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug", you just setup a service
running "s6-devd /sbin/mdev". The mdev helpers will be called
sequentially, without a race condition.

 Enjoy.

--
 Laurent