Can mdev replace udev in an ordinary linux distro?

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Mon Sep 19 15:44:35 UTC 2011

> what worries me most is all the apps that depends on libudev (xorg,
> gvfs, etc). Those will still need udev for the full "experience"

 What these apps need is an implementation of the libudev API, not
necessarily the original libudev.

 I have just taken a look at the libudev API documentation. It's not
overly complex, and it's sensible for the most part; I could probably
provide an alternative libudev fast enough if needed.

 The real remaining problem is the library's backend, as in how to
design a simpler, more modular, but fully functional udev implementation.
mdev is a start, but it needs to be expanded if libudev functionality is
needed.
 I wouldn't worry too much, though. libudev-using programs are usually
behemoths that you would not run on embedded systems; on systems where you
need them, you can afford to run a full udev. Providing a full-fledged
alternative udev implementation is mostly aesthetics at this point.

--
 Laurent