Can mdev replace udev in an ordinary linux distro?

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:30:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Denys Vlasenko
<vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Netlink based solution requires a daemon.

I think thats ok for archs with MMU. busbox will most likely already
be in memory for syslog, shell etc.

I'd be happy to trade a daemon for faster bootups (less forks)

I suppose it'd be good to be able to do both. Then you could start the
mdev daemon early at boot, do the coldplugging and as one of the
latest steps at boot stop the deamon and switch back to echo
"/sbin/mdev" > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

what worries me most is all the apps that depends on libudev (xorg,
gvfs, etc). Those will still need udev for the full "experience"

--
Natanael Copa