Can mdev replace udev in an ordinary linux distro?

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Thu Sep 15 20:32:14 UTC 2011

 > I don't think that mdev supports an mdev.conf.d/ sort of paradigm ...

... but we can implement that /etc/mdev.d feature ... it is not too
difficult to do.

With an /etc/mdev.d system it would be easy for other packages to add
mdev rules to the system. That way we do not mangle with /etc/mdev.conf
in every package and scripting would be a lot easier.

... just to give my cent to that question.

I'm using a Gentoo based PC installation without openrc/udev. Needed
some fake packages to replace that completely but now gentoo/portage
sits on top (in a chroot) of a pure Busybox system (mdev only, no udev)
... but I'm preferring a statical kernel system and removed most of that
module loading and normal init/runlevel scripting so my scripts/configs
won't fit into a classical distro system.

--
Harald