mdev's check for firmware can probably be improved?

NIN101 NIN101 at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 14 10:23:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

util-linux/mdev.c, load_firmware():

If I'm understanding it right: When a firmware does not exist, mdev
exits (xopen()) but the kernel is still waiting for it, isn't it?

If so, an IMHO better way would be to write -1 to /sys/$DEVPATH/loading
directly if the firmware is not there instead of waiting for the timeout.

Currently I'm helping myself with an entry for this wrapper in
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug.

#!/bin/sh
[ -e /lib/firmware/$FIRMWARE ] || echo -1 > /sys/$DEVPATH/loading
/sbin/mdev

If I'm loading a module of which the firmware does not exist at boot,
this wrapper speeds up the boot time.

What do you guys think about this issue?

Regards,

NIN101