Android work in progress

Dan Fandrich dan at coneharvesters.com
Wed Sep 7 17:54:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 04:21:20PM +0200, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:
> I currently have a working native android build of master.
> I'm attaching needed changes, but right now it's a rough way to build
> since I need some info about the current build system and
> suggestions.

Busybox can already build against Android as of 1.19.0 with no patches
necessary.  See configs/android_defconfig and examples/android-build.
That will build Busybox against Bionic in a configuration supporting 234
applets.

> - the correct ifdef should be __BIONIC__, __ANDROID__ or similar
> should be checked for kernel stuff

The source currently checks for ANDROID, since that's what the normal Android
build system sets. I haven't seen any __BIONIC__ being set anywhere yet.

> - android/*.S: direct syscalls, currently I've found no way to build
> asm, perhaps not portable, an easy way to do it?

I really doubt you're going to get the maintainer to include syscalls into
the Busybox source tree.  The design goals of Bionic are that it includes
the minimal set of services necessary to build the Android system. If
you need more than that, then sadly, the long-term answer is probably to use
a different libc.

>>> Dan