Getty and PPP

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 23 22:18:23 UTC 2011

On Saturday 22 October 2011 21:03, Harald Becker wrote:
> > Why do you think O_NONBLOCK is wrong?
> >
> > agetty uses it (always).
> > mgetty uses it by default.
>
> Do not compare with mgetty, mgetty uses a completely different approach
> then other getty implementation and has special code to monitor and
> control the modem lines (not provided by Busybox getty).

Why agetty uses O_NONBLOCK? No one in so many years fixed that?

> > I mean, I can't just take your work for that.

My typo. s/work/word/

> > Show me that most/all gettys which have this option
> > explicitly say that this data are not meant to be used
> > to initialize modem.
>
> I do neither have access to the documentation of all getty
> implementations I used nor like to spend time searching for such
> documentation. It was a suggestion, consider to use or drop it. Your
> decision.
>
> IMHO. The current Busybox getty is modeled close to standard getty
> functionality and as this is error prune on none local lines if INITSTR
> is used for modem initialization. Either drop that (modem init) feature
> or getty needs rework to function proper on none local lines (which
> currently fails). That was the intention of my note (from context of
> thread).

I am not convinced that busybox needs to change something which was done
a certain way for many years, and apprently not mnay people complained.

I summarized current status and currently unresolved issues in this
new file:

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/loginutils/README

--
vda