defconfig build fails under Ubuntu 11.10 Obnoxious Ocelot (current LTS).

Steve Bennett steveb at workware.net.au
Mon Nov 7 21:12:26 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011, at 6:21 AM, Rob Landley wrote:

> [snip]

> P.S. If you wonder why I despair of busybox's "throw another app on the
> fire, it can't hurt anything" approach... doing more than necessary is
> bad.  Busybox now has 348 apps.  Is there really a good excuse for
> smemcap not being a shell script, same for envdir?  Why do we have
> devmem?  envuidgid is probably obsoleted by containers, which busybox
> has no support for, but now we have to support this old thing forever.
> (Yes forever: we still haven't removed mt.)  AND envuidgid does
> something chpst also does,   We have uuencode _and_ base64? We have
> killall _and_ killall5? Why add-shell (at all)?  Why isn't dhcprelay a
> function of udhcpd?  (They SIMPLIFY UDHCPD already.)  Is wall really a
> modern tool? Doesn't "alias" exist for things like hd?  And so on...
>
> I miss "simple".  The current busybox may be many things (trying to be
> all things to all people), but it's not simple.

I would like to see the inverse of EXPERIMENTAL. Perhaps OBSOLETE,
ARCHAIC, RARE or UNCOMMON which hides less common options to make it easier
to configure from scratch. But I would still like to be able to
enable those options by editing the .config file directly.
Not sure if Kconfig can do that though.

--
µWeb: Embedded Web Framework - http://uweb.workware.net.au/
WorkWare Systems Pty Ltd