[1.16.2/mdev] "Can't open /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug"

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Mon May 30 08:39:53 UTC 2011

Hello

	I'd like to format a NAND with Ubifs to use with uClinux on an
appliance. It was recommended that I use Busybox's mdev for dynamic
dev nodes instead of trying to use static dev nodes
(device_table.txt).

I used a sample rc.d script that I found in the archives of this list,
but the appliance has no /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug:
==========
Starting mdev...
sh: can't open '/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug': No such file or directory
==========

Does it matter? Could someone tell me how to set things up correctly?

Thank you.

PS: Here are the steps I took to add and use mdev:

1. Buildroot:
- Miscellaneous Configuration > Device Nodes (Dynamic)
- BusyBox
[*] mdev
[*]   Support /etc/mdev.conf
[ ]     Support subdirs/symlinks (NEW)
[ ]     Support command execution at device addition/removal (NEW)
[ ]   Support loading of firmwares (NEW)

2. Edit vendors/Mfg/MyBoard/Makefile to add script in rc.d:

#!/bin/sh
# Start up file for mdev

case $1 in
        start) echo "Starting mdev...";
        echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug;
        /sbin/mdev -s;
        ;;
esac

3. Edit vendors/Mfg/MyBoard/Makefile to add symlink in rc.d:

$(ROMFSINST) /etc/init.d/mdev
$(ROMFSINST) -s /etc/init.d/mdev /etc/rc.d/S20network