busybox with single applet enabled

Tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Fri May 20 12:19:33 UTC 2011

On Friday 20 May 2011 05:44:06 Sergey Naumov wrote:
> > busybox is about small size. If binary contains exactly one applet,
> > why it should include any code to check its name?
>
> Of course it shouldn't, but may be it is possible to issue a warning
> at compilation stage, smth like "busybox was built as single applet.
> Do not call it as 'busybox applet_name'."
>
> last_fancy patch:
> In expectation of a question, I want to answer that of course I know,
> that all filtering can be done by grep, sed and so on, but if you
> don't want to touch old code that uses full-blown last or you use user
> interface where user can specify exactly one command... I deal with
> such a project, so I send a patch just in hope it can be useful for
> smbd, not because I insist on incorporating it.
>
> adduser/addgroup:
> While working on adduser -C, I found a todo about invocation of
> addgroup from adduser with -g flag and incompatibility with desktop
> adduser. I have tried to solve it, but discovered that we can
> unambiguously determine what kind of program we execute (applet or
> desktop program) only if FEATURE_PREFER_APPLETS is enabled. If it is
> disabled, then we can't detect type of program by finding executable -
> it could be just applet wrapper. May be the easiest way to solve this
> issue is to enable long options in addgroup by menuconfig
> infrastructure if  FEATURE_PREFER_APPLETS is not selected, or anyway
> try to use applet first regardless FEATURE_PREFER_APPLETS disabled.

Maybe something like this in adduser.c:

/* We assume that if bb's addgroup applet is enabled we will use it */
if (ENABLE_ADDGROUP && !ENABLE_FEATURE_ADDGROUP_LONG_OPTIONS) {
	        argv[1] = (char*)"-g";
} else {
		/* external addgroup or bb's addgroup with long options */
	        argv[1] = (char*)"--gid";
}
		argv[2] = utoa(p->pw_gid);
		argv[3] = (char*)"--";