all these warnings...

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 20 01:53:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:54:18AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2011 06:12, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 01:40:57AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > > config/mconf.c came from kernel tree. I don't plan to maintain a fork,
> > > I plan to migrate to updated version from newer kernels.
> >
> > In this case, might I suggest we go back and put the feature test
> > macros (_XOPEN_SOURCE and _GNU_SOURCE) in the makefile rather than in
> > files that will be synced with upstream?
>
> Let's fix it in upstream?

I'd like that, but I think it's harder to convince them to do. Also, I
think putting feature test macros in the CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS is really the
more correct solution. For these it *probably* doesn't matter, but for
some (like _FILE_OFFSET_BITS), having mismatches between different .c
files as to whether/how the macro is defined can actually result in
major problems. In principle it's just best to make sure they're
defined consistently everywhere, and the command line is the safest
place to do that.

Rich