refresh partition table

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon May 16 15:18:53 UTC 2011

> I've run into an interesting problem by using the above syntax.
> Apparently when I issue that command "blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sde",
> it removes all the device's partition files (e.g. /dev/sde1) and
> leaves the one for the drive itself (e.g. /dev/sde).  If I unplug the
> device and plug it back in, the correct device files populate again.
> So it appears that mdev is working right, but the blockdev is not.
> Any ideas why blockdev would be doing this?

Kernel problem? ... Partition re-read send device delete events but miss
add new add events ... or possible sequence problem (re-add just before
old delete = to fast re-add) [remembering notes about hotpluging
anywhere in newer kernel change logs, but didn't look close to those]

... meanwhile do "sleep 2s; mdev -s" right after partition reread ...
shall do the job

--
Harald