ash documentation

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon May 16 01:47:30 UTC 2011

On Monday 09 May 2011 20:11, Sven Mascheck wrote:
> > bash is the de-facto Linux standard shell. I think practicality
> > trumps "but it's not a standard feature!!!" zealotry a-la dash.
> > Therefore, emulating some bashisms is a good thing.
>
> I'm curious: have you (e.g. by user feedback) already experienced
> effects due to ubuntu and debian having moved to dash as /bin/sh?

Yes. Some bbox build scripts broke because dash echo != bash echo.

> > > (how to debug subtle problems then?)
> >
> > I don't understand.
>
> for the record:
> I had wondered about the (unusual?) case where a user
> experiences unexpected behaviour (for him) in a script and
> has to find out whether he made an error, misunderstood the
> language or found a bug.  The reference manual if available
> would be the usual start then.

Instead of spending time writing a manual, and then maintaining
it, I prefer to spend time fixing incompatibilities between
bbox shells and bash.

IOW: I treat "man bash", and sometimes results of experiments
with bash as "the manual".

--
vda