ls output

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu May 12 16:20:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM, David Henderson
<dhenderson at digital-pipe.com> wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 11:07 AM, Bob Dunlop wrote:
>>
>> I think the problem is that -A does not mean what you expect.  It's a
>> modified version of -a which shows all hidden files except "." and "..".
>>
>> The problem is expressing these concepts concisely in what is already a
>> very big help message.  Perhaps:
>>         -A      Don't list . and ..
>> should read:
>>         -A      Don't show . and ..
>>
>> The difference between list and show is subtle but it consumes no bytes
>> and is a small step in the right direction.
>>

> I checked the coreutils 'ls --help' and it gives the exact same description
> of '-A' as busybox does.  Perhaps a better help description would be "same
> as -a without . and ..".  :)

Current git --help:

$ ./busybox ls --help
BusyBox v1.19.0.git (2011-05-12 13:14:08 CEST) multi-call binary.

Usage: ls [-1AaCxdLHRFplinsehrSXvctu] -w WIDTH [FILE]...

List directory contents

	-1	One column output
	-a	Include entries which start with .
	-A	Like -a, but exclude . and ..
	-C	List by columns
	-x	List by lines
	-d	List directory entries instead of contents
	-L	Follow symlinks
	-H	Follow symlinks on command line only
	-R	Recurse
	-F	Append indicator (one of */=@|) to entries
	-p	Append indicator (one of /=@|) to entries
	-l	Long listing format
	-i	List inode numbers
	-n	List numeric UIDs and GIDs instead of names
	-s	List allocated blocks
	-e	List full date and time
	-h	List sizes in human readable format (1K 243M 2G)
	-r	Sort in reverse order
	-S	Sort by size
	-X	Sort by extension
	-v	Sort by version
	-c	With -l: sort by ctime
	-t	With -l: sort by mtime
	-u	With -l: sort by atime
	-w N	Assume the terminal is N columns wide
	--color[={always,never,auto}]	Control coloring

We still have some problems. Such as -p not being compatible
with upstream - it should only add / suffix...

--
vda