mdev with hda's

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Wed May 11 18:35:52 UTC 2011

On 05/11/2011 01:48 PM, Harald Becker wrote:
>   Hallo David!
>
>> env>  /tmp/${TEMP}.info
>> . /tmp/${TEMP}.info
> What are you doing here??? ... looks like you do not understand how the
> environment is working ... env prints a list of all exported shell
> variables (that is the environment) ... there after you are just reading
> in (ohps ... sourcing) the same values back to the same variables ...
> that is just pure wasting of resources (mostly time consumption) without
> any advantage.
>
> Your script should work without that ... with full access to all values
> env can list at that point.
>
> --
> Harald

lol I guess I didn't even think about it, but you're right.  If that's
the environment set by mdev, those variables and values are all
accessible within the script natively.  Good catch!

Realizing this now, I think the PATH variable should be added to the
"standard" set of variables as part of the mdev environment.  However,
this value would need to be passed by the actual shell PATH and not a
pre-defined one from mdev.  I noticed that this was the case while
running tests over the last couple of days.

Dave