mdev with hda's

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Wed May 11 16:52:13 UTC 2011

On 05/11/2011 12:40 PM, Harald Becker wrote:
>   Hallo David,
>
> I had another look on your env outputs  and found an interesting question:
>
> Have you called mdev the same way (as hotplug handler) for the sda
> listings and for the hda listings ... or did you use "mdev -s" anywhere
> in that process? ... Could this be the reason for the environment
> differences?
>
> --
> Harald

When generating the output for that reply, no.  For the sda devices, I
called my script since they work natively with it (see below for the
first three lines that get executed in that script).  When producing the
output for the hda's, I called the mdev rule "@env >> /tmp/parent2".
However, even though I executed the 'env' command differently when
producing the output for that reply, I've also used just the mdev rule
"@env >> /tmp/parent" without calling my script and the output was the same.

The first three lines of my script:

((TEMP=$RANDOM + 2 + $RANDOM))    # create a randomly named file
containing the mdev environment to be read in below
env > /tmp/${TEMP}.info                        # output the dynamically
generated mdev environment to a unique filename (e.g. /tmp/45124.info)
. /tmp/${TEMP}.info                                # read in that file
so the variables are accessible within this script

Dave