Serial Number

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Fri May 6 15:19:58 UTC 2011

 Hallo David!

>     I'm trying to use mdev to create some unique device file names and
> would like to use the obvious choice of a serial number, however, that
> information doesn't appear in any of the env output from mdev.  Does
> anyone know of a way to obtain this information via mdev?  I've also
> looked at hdparm, but it doesn't appear to work with USB drives and I
> need a universal solution.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Can you give some examples on how you want your devices named?

I formerly used a script called from mdev and used small regular files
stored on the temporary device file system (in a subdirectory) to hold
counts and other name informations. Indeed not the nicest approach, but
works fast and reliable.

--
Harald