Problems with '\r' handling by 'sed' applet (BusyBox versions up to 1.18.4)

Tomasz Czapiewski xeros at irc.pl
Mon May 2 11:20:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Chris Rees wrote:

> On 2 May 2011 07:00, Tomasz Czapiewski <xeros at irc.pl> wrote:
>> This make some problems with my scripts portability.
>> None of BusyBox 'sed' applet parameters, like '-r' help to solve it.
>
> That's because it's a GNUism; BSD sed doesn't accept this either.
>
> GNU sed is not 'real sed', there is no 'real sed'.
>
> What are you trying to do?

Sorry about naming.

I've get used to GNU tools and I'm comparing commands to GNU alternatives
as I'm making and testing scripts on Linux.
I've worked around the current code so it's not a problem for this
script for now but I wanted to avoid simmilar problems in future.
The script makes changes to xml files for binary app which uses carriage
return in XML like on Windows.

So the target of BusyBox tools is to aim BSD compatibility, no GNU?

Regards,
Tomasz Czapiewski