Keyboard tables with string definitions and diacriticals

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Tue Mar 22 16:36:17 UTC 2011

Harald, Denys, All,

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 17:24:09 Harald Becker wrote:
> >> Can we improve Busybox and add those functionalities? Attention:
> >> Modifications at this point probably introduces an incompatibility to
> >> current Busybox versions, ...
> > The best way would be to evolve tovards using data formats
> > and command-line options which are compatible with relevant
> > standard tools.
>
> That would be the loadkeys command and the keyboard table format
> described in the keymaps(5) manual page. ... but that one is an ASCII
> source table that needs complex parsing. That parsing, including dynamic
> table handling, would require a lot of code and data space. I don't
> think that this really hit's the Busybox "keep it small" philosophy.

What about the following:
- busybox applet that loads binary tables as you suggest
- script in the busybox source that converts an ASCII table into its
  binary equivalent

> The standard tool "loadkeys" has an option "-b" to create the the binary
> key tables required by Busybox.
[--SNIP--]
> The standard tools loadkeys "-b" option is especially designed to create
> binary key tables in the format required by Busybox (see loadkeys manual
> page).

Sorry, my loadkeys man page does not document '-b':
$ loadkeys --version
loadkeys: (console-tools) 0.2.3

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.