Significant performance problem with modprobe

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jun 14 15:15:21 UTC 2011

On 14/06/2011 16:10, Timo Teräs wrote:
> The proper thing to do still is the implement the binary file format.
> This is just trying to do micro-optimizations compared to it.

Could be - however, Lauri's results were: 28% faster using binary
modutils and 23% faster using text modutils.  Given that our "readline"
function is used in quite a few places in busybox, getting this nailed
has the potential to cause significant speedups in other places such as
sed (often used on reasonably sized files?)

I hope you will consider looking slightly further into this? It does
seem like low hanging performance fruit that would have an effect more
widely than just "modprobe"?

Thanks

Ed W