Significant performance problem with modprobe

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jun 14 14:20:16 UTC 2011

On 14/06/2011 13:19, Ralf Friedl wrote:

> You wrote earlier that your modules.alias is 137KB. How many modules do
> you have in that file? I have just 34kB for a full PC Linux.

Hmm, curious.  I only have a couple of modules, basically wireless
drivers and serial to usb drivers.  So a large fraction of my .alias
file is PCI matches for say ftdi_sio (lots and lots of matches...)

I just trimmed a few drivers I doubt I will ever use and cut the file
size a chunk - good idea.  However, surprised if I can get it anywhere
near 34KB - that alone could be done using just 1-3 wireless modules..?

Thanks

Ed W