Significant performance problem with modprobe

Ralf Friedl Ralf.Friedl at online.de
Tue Jun 14 12:19:30 UTC 2011

Ed W wrote:
> On 14/06/2011 11:31, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
>
>> While fixing this issue wouldn't make a huge difference in my case, it
>> would seem to have a measurable effect nonetheless.
>> I guess for the big effect I should wait for the mentioned module loader
>> work.
>>

> A quick way to benchmark the difference would be to add a newish
> module-init-tools binary to your system and measure the speed increase?
> "proper" modprobe on my x86 system is 30KB

A quick way to benchmark this is to reduce the size of the modules file.
As most of the time is spent parsing this file, reducing the size should
result in a significant speedup.

You wrote earlier that your modules.alias is 137KB. How many modules do
you have in that file? I have just 34kB for a full PC Linux.

Ralf