Significant performance problem with modprobe

Lauri Kasanen curaga at operamail.com
Tue Jun 14 10:31:22 UTC 2011

> For you, based on the bootchart, it looks like modprobe is actually
> and (c). It's probably taking most of time in (c) which means kernel is
> working and initialising the module and possibly hardware. It's probably
> non-trivial to try to improve your situation.
>
> - Timo

According to strace, init_module is responsible for 85-95% of the time
(depending on the module), but the rest is practically all from read.

While fixing this issue wouldn't make a huge difference in my case, it
would seem to have a measurable effect nonetheless.
I guess for the big effect I should wait for the mentioned module loader
work.

- Lauri