BusyBox

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 12 20:10:28 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 08 June 2011 01:08, Lars Tveito wrote:
> It said on the BysyBox page that you would like to be contacted if a user
> was aware of using your OS. I have a A.C Ryan Playon!HD - it uses BusyBox. I
> guess your allready aware of this, but it was not listed, so I thought i'd
> send an e-mail.
>
> I have a question though; i'm using this device to play media - it does not
> have an internal drive, so i have an external drive plugged inn by usb. The
> only way (that i know of) to access this device is through telnet (via LAN).
> I want to be able to transfer files from my local hard drive to the external
> one connected to the playon. Does BusyBox support xmodem or zmodem?

rx applet is the "receive using xmodem" tool.

However I think a more robust way would be to use ftpd. Xmodem is a really
simplistic protocol, not very stable.

> If so
> could you tell me how to install it? I can use an formatted usb-stick - this
> is the procedure for firmware upgrades.

You need to learn how to build a busybox binary for the architecture
of your device. Then you can compile a version which has tools you need
(becuase it's likely that version already installed on it is old and/or
has applets you need configured off), copy it to the device, and run it there.

For example, if you built, say, version 1.18.5 with ftpd enabled
and copied it to the device, then you can run

# /path/to/your/busybox ftpd --help
BusyBox v1.18.5 (2011-06-12 17:04:07 CEST) multi-call binary.

Usage: ftpd [-wvS] [-t N] [-T N] [DIR]

Anonymous FTP server

ftpd should be used as an inetd service.
ftpd's line for inetd.conf:
        21 stream tcp nowait root ftpd ftpd /files/to/serve
It also can be ran from tcpsvd:
        tcpsvd -vE 0.0.0.0 21 ftpd /files/to/serve

        -w      Allow upload
        -v      Log errors to stderr. -vv: verbose log
        -S      Log errors to syslog. -SS: verbose log
        -t,-T   Idle and absolute timeouts
        DIR     Change root to this directory

# /path/to/your/busybox ftpd -w -vv /upload

and now you can upload files to /upload directory in your device
using any ftp client from other computers.

--
vda