Building RootFS using Busybox for ARM

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 23 01:20:48 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 06:22 AM, vaasuch kernel wrote:
> Hi,
> $ make ARCH=arm defconfig
> $ make ARCH=arm menuconfig
> $ make ARCH=arm
>
> then I get this error, please help
>

> /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.3.2/include-fixed/limits.h:122:61:
> error: limits.h: No such file or directory

Your toolchain can't find your headers.

I've built a root filesystem for arm, and I've done so building my own
cross compiler from source, and using busybox as the basis for the
development environment.

The build is just a series of bash scripts, which are at:

  http://landley.net/aboriginal

There's prebuilt binary versions of everything there (cross compiler,
native compiler, root filesystem tarball suitable for chroot, filesystem
and kernel packaged to boot under qemu...)

And there's a really big long explanation of what it's doing at:

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/presentation.pdf

You might also want to look at:

  http://landley.net/writing/docs/cross-compiling.html