[1.16.2] Can't stop "ping" with CTRL+c

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Tue Jul 5 23:43:16 UTC 2011

> It would be really nice to be able to make my /etc/inittab say something like:
>
> AUTO::respawn:/bin/login -f root
>
> and have busybox query the kernel for the first console, then fill in
> "AUTO" with the appropriate device name.

 You can easily script that. Boot into a script that generates
a proper /etc/inittab then executes into "busybox init". Adding
specific code to busybox for this only amounts to bloating it.

> I see that in Linux 2.6.38+, there is a new
> /sys/class/tty/console/active attribute that could be used to
> implement this.  systemd init is already using it to start getty on
> the active serial console.

 systemd is a wonderful example of how not to design an init process.
The myth of the all-purpose "init" binary really needs to die: see
 http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-svscan-1.html

 Process 1 can be a script that does things - like getting the value of
/sys/class/tty/console/active - then executes into the "stage 2", i.e.
long-running, init binary of your choice. Adding more stuff to the
init binary instead of using a script is going the way of systemd and
Upstart, which I would very much like busybox to avoid.

--
 Laurent