[1.16.2] Can't stop "ping" with CTRL+c

Kevin Cernekee cernekee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 18:25:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:
>># Startup the system
>>#console::sysinit:/bin/sh /etc/rc
>>#tty::sysinit:/bin/sh /etc/rc
>>ttyBF0::sysinit:/bin/sh /etc/rc
>>
>># Set up a console shell
>>#console::respawn:/bin/login -f root
>>#tty::respawn:/bin/login -f root
>>ttyBF0::respawn:/bin/login -f root
>
> The problem I seem to be having, is that the device nodes are created
> dynamically by mdev, and that point, neither /dev/tty nor /dev/ttyBF0
> exist, so it fails with the following error message:

Could you try running /etc/rc on console, and running the login shell
on ttyBF0?  e.g.

::sysinit:/etc/rc
ttyBF0::respawn:/bin/login -f root

/etc/rc runs "mdev -s", correct?

BTW: I maintain a generic rootfs that has to run on a wide variety of
platforms, and not all of them use the same console tty.  Other than
the tty configuration, the platform-specific dependencies are minimal
(and can be easily detected at runtime).

It would be really nice to be able to make my /etc/inittab say something like:

AUTO::respawn:/bin/login -f root

and have busybox query the kernel for the first console, then fill in
"AUTO" with the appropriate device name.

I see that in Linux 2.6.38+, there is a new
/sys/class/tty/console/active attribute that could be used to
implement this.  systemd init is already using it to start getty on
the active serial console.

Any thoughts on whether such a change would be accepted to busybox?

Should it be called "AUTO" or is there a better name for it?