[1.16.2] Can't stop "ping" with CTRL+c

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Mon Jul 4 23:07:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 13:03:14 -0400, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>
wrote:
>No, you should just remove all references to console in inittab and
>replace them with tty1 or whatever the proper tty device for the
>serial console is. /dev/console is not a tty and not suitable for
>logins.

Thanks but CTRL+c still doesn't work to eg. stop "ping".

Kernel command line: ... console=ttyBF0,115200

root:~> ls -al /dev/tty*
crw-rw----    1 root     root        5,   0 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/tty
crw-rw----    1 root     root      204,  64 Jan  1 00:00 /dev/ttyBF0

I edited /etc/inittab to replace the two occurences of "console" with
"tty": CTRL+c doesn't work.

Then I replaced "tty" with "ttyBF0", same result.

FWIW, dmesg includes the two lines:
============
starting pid 30, tty '/dev/console': '/bin/sh /etc/rc'
starting pid 54, tty '/dev/console': '/bin/login -f root'
============

Here's the inittab:
============
# Startup the system
#console::sysinit:/bin/sh /etc/rc
#tty::sysinit:/bin/sh /etc/rc
ttyBF0::sysinit:/bin/sh /etc/rc

# Set up a console shell
#console::respawn:/bin/login -f root
#tty::respawn:/bin/login -f root
ttyBF0::respawn:/bin/login -f root

# Misc services
null::respawn:/sbin/inetd -f
#null::respawn:/sbin/watchdog -F -T 20 -t 10 /dev/watchdog

# Logging junk
null::sysinit:/bin/touch /var/log/messages
null::respawn:/sbin/syslogd -n -m 0
null::respawn:/sbin/klogd -n

# Stuff to do for the 3-finger salute
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot