Small issues with hwclock of busybox

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 3 03:35:01 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 21:14, Klaus Brinkmann wrote:
> I hope this is the right place to mention this. There are two issues
> with hwclock of busybox which seem very small, but might confuse users
> who are not very firm with busybox or linux at all. You might think for
> yourself that it isn't really a problem, but as it can be improved quite
> easily, it should be considered to be done.
>
> Please see this post of my little forum, where i describe the problem:
>
> http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~bbrink/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16&p=18#p18
>
> I'm sorry if the post a bit confusing, but i found it hard to precisely
> describe why and in which way i was confused by this. To improve this,
> my proposal is to modify the --help-output
>
> -u           the hardware clock is kept in UTC
> -l	     the hardware clock is kept in local time
>
> (Note the "is kept in")

What in current text makes it unclear?

# ./busybox hwclock --help
BusyBox v1.19.0.git (2011-06-30 02:32:15 CEST) multi-call binary.

Usage: hwclock [-r|--show] [-s|--hctosys] [-w|--systohc] [-t|--systz] [-l|--localtime] [-u|--utc] [-f|--rtc FILE]

Query and set hardware clock (RTC)

        -r      Show hardware clock time
        -s      Set system time from hardware clock
        -w      Set hardware clock from system time
        -t      Set in-kernel timezone, correct system time
                if hardware clock is in local time
        -u      Hardware clock is in UTC
        -l      Hardware clock is in local time
        -f FILE Use specified device (e.g. /dev/rtc2)

> and also output the timezone
> when using "hwclock -r" like it is in the stand-alone-version of hwclock:

> and for example: Mi 15 Jun 2011 21:10:37 CEST  -0.609320 seconds
> (Note the "CEST")

hwclock from util-linux-2.19.1 does not show timezone.
Busybox tries to mimic 'standard' tools behavior.

--
vda