cron

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:22:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM, David Henderson
<dhenderson at digital-pipe.com> wrote:
> Is the system-wide /etc/crontab file supported by Busyboxes cron daemon

No, it is not supported.

> or
> is it completely on a per user basis?  For example, I created a cron job for
> the root user:
>
> * * * * * date >> /tmp/cron.txt
>
> then ran "crontab -u root /etc/cron.d/test".  Everything works fine at this
> point.  Now I tried to test the system-wide /etc/crontab file:
>
> * * * * * date >> /tmp/cron.txt2
>
> I let it sit there for 10-15 minutes and no new file appeared in the /tmp
> directory so I decided to "crontab /etc/crontab" which ended up overwriting
> the one already set for the root account.  Is this normal behavior or am I
> missing a step somewhere?

It did exactly what --help says:

$ busybox crontab --help
BusyBox v1.19.0.git (2011-01-18 13:36:16 CET) multi-call binary.

Usage: crontab [-c DIR] [-u USER] [-ler]|[FILE]

	-c	Crontab directory
	-u	User
	-l	List crontab
	-e	Edit crontab
	-r	Delete crontab
	FILE	Replace crontab by FILE ('-': stdin)

that is, it copied FILE (=/etc/crontab here) into crontab for current user.
--
vda