cron

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Tue Jan 18 15:46:24 UTC 2011

Is the system-wide /etc/crontab file supported by Busyboxes cron daemon
or is it completely on a per user basis?  For example, I created a cron
job for the root user:

* * * * * date >> /tmp/cron.txt

then ran "crontab -u root /etc/cron.d/test".  Everything works fine at
this point.  Now I tried to test the system-wide /etc/crontab file:

* * * * * date >> /tmp/cron.txt2

I let it sit there for 10-15 minutes and no new file appeared in the
/tmp directory so I decided to "crontab /etc/crontab" which ended up
overwriting the one already set for the root account.  Is this normal
behavior or am I missing a step somewhere?

Dave