embedded control panel - can this work?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:08:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM, David Collier
<from_busybox_maillist at dexdyne.com> wrote:
> The original programmer didn't know how to fix the faulty code, so he
> resorted to setting the suid bit on the busybox 0.6 exe. That got the
> system working, and he didn't tell anyone how he'd kludged it.
>
> I'm now trying to port this lot to busybox 1.17, ( and soon to a computer
> which doesn't use busybox ) , and the trick of setting the suid bit on
> the busybox exe won't work with a vanilla busybox any longer.

If you want to quickly reuse this hack, compile two busybox binaries.

One is everything you need sans date, the second is only date applet.

Do not select FEATURE_SUID for second one, but do make second binary
suid root. (First one probably will have FEATURE_SUID and also be suid'ed
root, but in this case, as you know, date applet won't run under root).

This way, your second binary _will_ be able to be run by ordinary users
and set date.

--
vda