mdev

Serj Kalichev serj.kalichev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:42:51 UTC 2011

2011/1/12 David Henderson <dhenderson at digital-pipe.com>:
> Andrew wrote:
>>
>> 12.01.2011 18:15, David Henderson пишет:
>>>
>>> So far in my project, I've been loading the kernel modules (drivers)
>>> manually in the startup scripts. This is, obviously, far from ideal as this
>>> will only allow the OS to work on a fixed set of hardware. I've been
>>> investigating how to use mdev to install the drivers for detected hardware
>>> (e.g. network cards). So far, it looks like I'll have to setup a script
>>> that's called by mdev to process any kernel modules related to the hardware
>>> in /etc/mdev.conf. The problem I've found is that I can't really find an
>>> example of how to do this with mdev (udev seems to use $MODALIAS with
>>> /etc/udev/scripts). I've also searched the busybox documentation for mdev
>>> which doesn't cover this topic. Can anyone point me to some relevant
>>> documentation/example, or provide something to get me started?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave
>>
>> For cold-plug hardware detection I used simple modalias search + modprobe
>> by aliases (5 lines in script). Works perfectly with full modprobe, on tiny
>> variant of modprobe (which loads just 1st matching module) it fails
>> sometimes for devices like IDE controllers that have 2 or more corresponding
>> modules (for ex., generic ata which matches by device class&etc and vendor
>> driver which match VenID/DevID). You can see it in LEAF v4.
>>
> Thanks Andrew.  I'm not familiar with LEAF, and since we're only talking
> about a file that's 5 lines, can you post in a reply?
>
> Is there a way to do a "sleep" or "process order" for devices using 2 or
> more modules?
>
> Dave

The tiny modprobe variant now have --show-depends option for this
purpose. It can show all dependencies for given alias.
Note the modprobe ALL the found hardware is not good. On my system it
leads to reboot. Probably on some system hardware (on the AGP device
may be). The better way to classify the devices. For example to load
all the network card modules.