lsmod

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Fri Jan 7 21:23:18 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: David Henderson
To: Gilles Espinasse
Cc: busybox at busybox.net
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: lsmod

> Gilles, I actually found an option in busybox in the "Archival Utilities"
section that allows
> association with modprobe and .gz extensions as shown:
>
> [*] Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .xz data
> [*] Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .lzma data
> [*] Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .bz2 data
> [*] Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .gz data
> [*] Make tar and gunzip understand .Z data

Yes that is needed
But I think in Linux modules utilities, you selected 'simplified modutils'
and not 'modprobe' a few lines bellow.
> As you can see, all of those options are selected for my build of busybox,
> and after further testing, you are correct in that insmod will NOT use any
> compressed drivers.
> Enabling those options has allowed busybox's modprobe to use them use
fine, however.
> I still might upgrade to full versions to overcome any issues however.
When I was speaking of full modprobe version, this is because busybox has 2
flavors (a simplified and a standard). I was not speaking of
module-init-tools modprobe.

> Thanks for your help. :)
>  Is there a reason why insmod doesn't have this ability with those
selected as well?  Bug perhaps?

Not really, more a feature not made.
Even module-init-tools insmod is useless with compressed modules.
I have simply removed insmod and rmmod (rmmod could work).
And the message 'insmod <module>' inside m-i-t modprobe is a bit confusing
as the real insmod program is not able to work with a compressed module.

I haven't tested busybox modprobe and lzma or xz compressed modules.
module-init-tools only know to work with .gz

Gilles