Applet adduser hurds Busybox standalone feature

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon Feb 28 09:45:25 UTC 2011

 Hallo Tito!

> if i understood it correctly the other complaint was that if we add
> the new user
> to a existing primary group the user should not be added
> as member to this group:
>
> busybox adduser -D -G users pippo
>
> cat /etc/passwd | grep pippo
> pippo:x:1000:1100:pippo:/home/pippo:/bin/bash
> users:x:1100:
>
> and not
> users:x:1100:pippo
>
> Am i correct or did i misunderstood something?

You got my complaint correct ... but it is not absolutely clear, if I'm
right with this!

In my opinion it is. It's the behavior of those systems I worked on. But
doing some Google recherches it looks like that there are systems out,
that behave different at this topic (Red Hat). First of all, it looks
like adduser / addgroup is a pure script implementation on those
systems. The underlying commands are probably useradd/groupadd. But the
arguments of Busybox adduser / addgroup neither correspond (fully) with
the script versions nor useradd / groupadd. As the request for upstream
compatibility has been formerly pointed out here, what about upstream
compatibility on those applets? Can we have a closer look at this, and
may be do a rework of those applets for Busybox (after confirming which
standard they should follow)?

... I'm willing to help with that work if welcome. Let me know. My
suggestions: Getting Busybox compatible to the shadow password package,
including those missing applets. So that Busybox can be used as a (light
wight) drop in replacement for that package. What about this?

--
Harald