Request for aliases to busybox applets bzip2 and bunzip2

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Thu Feb 24 15:55:39 UTC 2011

 Hi!

> Isn't it easier to have two shell scripts bzip:
>
> #!/bin/sh -
> exec bzip2 "$@"
>
>  and bunzip:
>
> #!/bin/sh -
> exec bunzip2 "$@"
>
> Hope this helps,
True, I do have those scripts, but I havily rely on the standalone
feature of busybox, that is, scripts do not call any external programs.
That allows to have sane environment with a single statically linked
binary on any system without any library dependencies. Due to this fact,
my scripts set the search path to an empty string, which would not allow
easy usage of the names bzip/bunzip without adding function wrappers to
every script ... not talking about my fingers, writing "busybox bzip" or
"busybox bunzip" at the prompt with the need to do the same command
again :-(

... and it is for upstream compatibility. Using the names bzip/bunzip is
a long standing feature of bzip2/bunzip2, so not very much documented.

--
Harald