Request for aliases to busybox applets bzip2 and bunzip2

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Thu Feb 24 15:17:09 UTC 2011

 Hi!

Since the beginnings of bzip2 it was always possible to set symlinks to
allow the usage of bzip2 with it's old name bzip. So I do have several
shell scripts which use bzip/bunzip. The problem is, that the busybox
applets do not allow such usage. That let to the fact, that I do always
have to modify busybox to allow such renaming. The applets in busybox
are fine and work as expected if called as bzip/bunzip instead of
bzip2/bunzip2, so we just need to add an alias for those applets.

Can we have those aliases in the busybox distribution? No one needs to
use them, if he doesn't like and required overhead is just a few bytes
for the name table (possibly controlled by a configuration option like
the egrep/fgrep aliases).

... and just to state that out: I know, bzip2 is not bzip! I was one of
those who had do deal with the problems which raised to the sudden (and
incompatible) change from original bzip to bzip2 ... and some of the old
scripts are still alive from that days. You know: Never touch a running
thing.

Would be nice to have such aliases in the busybox main stream.

--
Harald